UPSC IAS IFS Preliminary Exam 2021 – 822 Posts. Vacancy, Exam Date, Syllabus, Eligibility, Selection Process, Exam Pattern, Salary, Educational Qualification and Full Notification. The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) invites application from desirous candidates for 712 posts in Indian Civil Services and 110 posts in Indian Forest Services. All relevant details are available here.
Applications are now invited for the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination only. The Candidates who qualify for admission to the Civil Services (Main) Examination will have to apply online again and submit on-line Detailed Application Form-I
Candidates who are eligible and interested to apply and meets all educational and physical eligibility criteria can read the full notification before applying online. The link to download the admit card and results will be updated here in due course.
Full Notification – UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam 2021
Important Information and Dates
|Notification Nos.||04/2021-CSP (Civil Services)|
05/2021-IFoS (Forest Services)
|Recruiting Agency||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Name of Exam||CIVIL SERVICES (PRELIMINARY) EXAMINATION|
|No. of Posts||712 (Civil Services)|
110 (Forest Services)
|Application Start Date||04-03-2021|
|Application Last Date||24-03-2021 ( Upto 6:00 P.M.)|
|Last Date for Payment of Fee online||24-03-2021|
|Last Date for generating Pay-in-slip for Payment of Fee BY CASH||23-03-2021 (11:59 P.M.)|
|Preliminary Exam Date||27 June 2021|
|Withdrawal of applications||31-03-2021 to 6-04-2021 (6.00 PM.)|
- 712 (Indian Civil Services) including 22 Posts reserved for PwD candidates
- 110 (Indian Forest Services)
Various Services and Posts for which the exam is being conducted
- Indian Administrative Service
- Indian Foreign Service
- Indian Police Service
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Civil Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Corporate Law Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Defence Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Defence Estates Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Information Service, Junior Grade Group ‘A’
- Indian Postal Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian P&T Accounts and Finance Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Railway Protection Force Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Revenue Service (Customs & Indirect Taxes) Group ‘A’
- Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax) Group ‘A’
- Indian Trade Service, Group ‘A’ (Grade III)
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Group ‘B’ (Section Officer’s Grade)
- Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service (DANICS), Group ‘B’
- Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service (DANIPS), Group ‘B’
- Pondicherry Civil Service (PONDICS), Group ‘B’
Minimum Educational Qualifications
- For IAS: Bachelor’s degree from any recognised Universities or deemed universities.
- For IFS: Bachelor’s degree from any recognised Universities or deemed universities with at least one of the subjects Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology or a Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Forestry or in Engineering.
Age Limit for UPSC Civil Services Prelim
The minimum and maximum age of the candidate as on 1st August, 2021 should be:
|Minimum Age||Maximum Age|
|21 Years||Less than 32 years|
The candidate must have been born not earlier than 2nd August 1989 and not later than 1st August 2000.
Relaxation in Upper Age Limit
|SC/ ST||5 years|
|Defence Services personnel disabled in operations||3 years|
|Ex-servicemen including CO and ECOs/SSCOs who have rendered at least five years|
Military Service as of 1st August 2021
A candidate must be either:
(a) a citizen of India, or
(b) a subject of Nepal, or
(c) a subject of Bhutan, or
(d) a Tibetan refugee who came over to India, before the 1st January 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in India,
(e) a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania(Formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar), Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
How to apply
Candidates can apply online using the website http://www.upsconline.nic.in.
Detailed instructions for filling up online applications are available on the above-mentioned website.
Candidates are not required to submit any certificate in support of their claims regarding Age, Educational Qualifications, Reserved category etc. which will be verified at the time of the Main examination only.
Number of attempts
|SC /ST||OBC||PwBD||All Others|
|Unlimited||09||09 for GL/EWS/OBC Unlimited for SC/ST||6|
|General and all other||Rs. 100/-|
- Fee can be paid online through Net Banking, Credit/Debit cards.
- Online fee can be paid by the candidates up to 23.03.2021 (23:30 hours).
- Fee once paid shall not be refunded nor will it be adjusted against any other examination or selection.
Scheme of Exam
The Civil Services Examination comprises two successive stages:
(i) Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination (Objective Type) and
(ii) Civil Services (Main) Examination (Written and Interview/Personality Test)
Click here for FAQ and other details.
The Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination
- Consist of two papers of Objective type (MCQ)
- Maximum marks: 400
- Negative marking (- 0.33 marks) for incorrect answers.
- Marks obtained in the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination will not be counted for determining their final order of merit.
The Civil Services (Main) Examination
- 9 papers of conventional essay type.
- Candidates who obtain minimum qualifying marks as fixed by the UPSC shall be summoned for an Interview/Personality Test
- Marks obtained in Paper-I to Paper-VII and Marks obtained in the Interview/Personality Test will be counted for ranking.
Syllabus for UPSC IAS IFS Preliminary Exam
Syllabus for Preliminary Exam
|Paper I ‐ (200 marks) | Duration: 2 Hours||Paper II ‐ (200 marks) | Duration: 2 Hours|
|• Current events of national and international importance.|
• History of India and Indian National Movement.
• Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
• Indian Polity and Governance-Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
• Economic and Social Development-Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
• General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
• General Science.
• Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
• Logical reasoning and analytical ability;
• Decision making and problem-solving;
• General mental ability;
• Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. — Class X level);
Preliminary Exam Centres
|ANANTPUR (ANDHRA PRADESH)||ITANAGAR||RAIPUR|
|GAUTAM BUDDH NAGAR||NAVI MUMBAI||WARANGAL|
For any clarification, information or guidance regardin the UPSC IAS IFS Preliminary Exam, candidates may contact the following:
Over telephone: 011-23385271/011-23381125/011-23098543 on working days between 10.00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M.
In person: UPSC’s Facilitation Counter near gate ‘C’ of UPSC office in Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi – 110069
Important Links UPSC IAS IFS Preliminary Exam
|Link for original Notification Civil Services | Forest Services|
|Pay Exam Fee Here|